View Reviews of books by Sara Paretsky
Countdown with ...
Interviewed 03 May 2014
Ten words to sum up your working life to date ...
The silent grass-growing mood, I fear, cannot be mine (Melville, in a letter to Hawthorne).
Nine things you can see from where you're sitting ...
* My golden retriever
* A metal sculpture of an owl
* My grandmother’s photo as a member of the 1904 Illinois State girls basketball championship team (the last year that girls were allowed to play in intermural games until Title IX legislation almost 70 years later)
* A straw voodoo doll meant to make me a more creative writer
* A cartoon strip from a 1995 episode of Brenda Starr, when her editor tells her she’s not V I Warshawski
* 2000 essential French verbs, in case I ever actually buckle down to study the language
* A painting, oil on wood, of a view of the Triborough Bridge in New York City through an apartment window
* An Ashanti figurine of a lion, meant to make me more courageous * A needlepoint pillow with a crossword about V I on it
Eight minutes to prepare a meal. What's it going to be ?
Peanut butter on toast and Oban neat.
Seven people you'd like to go for a drink with ...
Bill Clinton (I have actually had drinks with him; his was diet Coke)
Alice Roosevelt Longworth
Six things you can't live without ...
Cappuccino, my hat collection, cappuccino, the plush monkey I got for my second birthday, my Golden Retriever, my espresso machine.
Five favourite words ...
My sons are gainfully employed.
Four places you'd run away to ...
Barcelona, Umbria, Lake Louise, Baja.
Three books you've bought recently ...
The Testament of Mary, A Miracle A Universe, Total Chaos.
Two things that make you rant ...
Litter in the parks, the Tea Party.
One thing you'd tell your teenage self ...